Monday, July 2, 2018

Missing Link

The front view of the missing links
Today I got for myself a couple of new "missing links" from the Giant store on Bentinck Street. It cost me Rs 150 each. Way cheaper than the online price of something like Rs 1800 for a pack of six links. Bums on the Saddle was selling one at Rs 520 plus Rs 250 for courier.

This is not really a gear for review. It is neither a gear nor a review. This is more of keeping record of the things I have and at what price. This will go into my saddle bag for road trips. It is highly unlikely that my chain would break on the road, given the low mileage that I clock and the top class maintenance of the chain. But no harm being prepared. Also, I learnt a lesson from Rana's example the other day when I had a puncture. Even if you don't need something on the road, a friend might need it and if you have it ready no harm helping him out.

Instructions on the reverse
I have explained the use of a missing link in another post. Read about it here You keep it in the saddle bag to use if your chain is broken. You also need a chain breaker tool to use it. I had said in the other post that I do not have a missing link. Now I have.

Giant is the Indian importer of KMC chains. I found this on the KMC international website. I had enquired about this item the other day with them over phone and was assured that they do have it. Today from work I went to pick up Monisha. We had some time before going to pick up Mampu from her tuition near Southern Avenue. I took the opportunity to go to Giant. While I waited in the car (getting parking on Bentinck Street on a working day evening is impossible) Monisha went to the store and got it for me.

I must mention that this link is called by different names by different manufacturers. KMC calls it a Missing Link. SRAM calls it a Power Lock. Shimano calls it a Quick Link. I prefer to call them master links. The Shimano and SRAM links are apparently not reusable. These KMCs are. I think 9 speed links are reusable but 11 speed ones aren't.

If I ever get a broken chain on the road I will use the missing link to come back home. I am certain of that. But I am equally certain that the first thing I will do before the next ride is replace the chain. A chain that breaks once will be prone to break again. But I will keep the once used link for another emergency. 




No comments:

Post a Comment