Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Finish Line Dry Lube

Finally bought this chain lubricant for the cycle. From the Firefox outlet in Bentinck Street. They charged me Rs 670 for this small tube. Each drop of this lube that falls on the floor will give me as much pain as each blood droplets that sometimes used to fall from an open injury in my childhood days when we would play on the streets. Jokes aside, as a percentage of the total cost of the bicycle it is an insignificant amount though. 

I had cleaned my bike fairly thoroughly a few weeks ago and at that time applied Motul motorcycle chain lube. Read about it here . Just a gentle spray which I wiped clean after application. I find that of late the chain looks dirty and sticky. It does not bend around the cogs smoothly. I think I should not have put the motorcycle lube on bicycle chain. Motorcycle chain lubes are supposed to be thicker as the friction generated by a motorcycle chain is very high. Bicycle chains remain a lot cooler and therefore require thinner grade oil. I knew this theory but I didn't think it would make much of a difference. But having closely seen the chain recently during wheel take off and on, I saw how the chain has become less flexible. 

I then bought a chain cleaning kit from IceToolz. Read about it here. It came with a bottle of chain cleaner concentrate. I did not use it because I didn't have the lube. Cleaning the chain thoroughly without lubing it up might be even worse than not cleaning at all. That's one of the reasons why I went to this store to get the lube. There is no online retailer that sells it. Getting Muck Off online is easier. That's also a big global brand but somehow I like the name Finish Line. It's the inventor of dry lube. Let me see how this works and I will update this review with more content after I actually clean my chain and lube it up.

Apparently this lube leaves a white mark on the chain which makes it easier to see which link has not been lubed. I am curious to see how that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment