Sunday, May 13, 2018

Merida Bicycle Lock

Yesterday I also got a lock for my bicycle (apart from the chain cleaner and puncture repair kit) from Extreme Adventure Sports. A Merida combination lock. Once again it is green, like my helmet :-) A colour that I hate. Exad are the official importers of Merida in India and I had got my red road bicycle from them. This lock cost me Rs 620 plus 30 per cent tax.

I set the combination to my usual combination for ATM cards. It came factory fitted to 0000. Here is the instruction set below. Nothing very difficult. Only thing to remember - when you set the combination, keep the other end of the rope out of the lock. It comes inserted inside the lock. 

Instructions for setting up combination
These locks are not thief proof. A serious bicycle thief needs just a decent rope cutter to steal anything locked with this. I bought it for casual locking during my day trips around the city. Like I want to go to a loo or some such short breaks like that. This is certainly not for overnight locking on the street or where you regularly go and keep it locked for hours in the open. Thieves notice all that and come prepared to steal. With the right tool it is a few seconds' job really. 



I believe it is 120 cm long, which is about 4 feet and 1 cm thick. I have kept it coiled around the seat post under the saddle. Looks a little ungainly there but it cannot be helped. If I ever go out on a multi-day tour I will have to carry a thick steel chain. That will perhaps be even more ungainly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment