Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Pearls of Wisdom - Upper and Lower

Last year I requested my nephew Gublai in the US to get me a pair of cycling bibs from Pearl Izumi when he came home for a short visit. The riding experience changed dramatically ever since I tried them on. In fact I have never got onto my roadie without them since that day. But bibs come with an accompanying and practical problem. Peeing becomes a headache. You have to remove your gloves, helmet, jersey, belt pouch (if you have one on) and then take the suspenders off of your shoulders and pull the damn thing down to relieve yourself. Doing it on the way side on the highway is not a problem but time consuming. Villagers do tend to look at you with surprise written large on their face, but then who cares when you are desperate to go.

I bought the bib for the simple reason that I read in reviews that normal cycling shorts tend to slip down. 

This year when his sister, my niece, was coming I requested her to get for myself a complete set of cycling jersey and shorts. Just so that I have a. a spare pair of padded shorts to wear (cycling clothes have to be worn without any underwear and therefore cannot be worn twice without washing and b. these shorts would be more for my city rides, as opposed to the bib for long rides.

Got the items in my hands last night when Guria and Mezda and Boudi came to our house. A pair of Pearl Izumi cycling shorts in size Small and a cycling jersey in size Medium. While the shorts are black and grey, the shirt is an electric lemon colour.

My personal taste in everything that I wear is very sedate and understated. The colour electric lemon, or fluorescent lemon is not really my favourite colour. But riding a cycle on the streets of Calcutta, particularly early in the morning in winter, you need to stand out. These colours make you more visible to motorists and friends. A reckless motorist is dangerous for you in any case, no matter what you wear or what light you put on. But if you wear something that makes you more visible on the road it is always safer. Rest is in the hands of God.

I remember in Chadar I was climbing down a huge heap of boulders on the river side alone, with my left hand broken and out of action (at that time I didn't know for sure that it was broken though but it was certainly out of action). My other trek mates were resting near the river, having reached ahead of me. I was a good half an hour away from them if I went alone without help. I was in the maze of largish grey boulders, making my way down slowly. Navigating your way through such a terrain is difficult when you have one arm totally limp. Body balance goes for a toss.

I desperately wanted my friends to see me and help. And they did see me simply because of my fluorescent green down jacket. Someone came quickly to my aid and guided me down to the river bed. If I was wearing something like grey or black I wouldn't be as visible. Fluorescent colours stand out clearly.

Also, while riding with some friends last month very early in the morning, I realised the guy who was in a fluorescent orange jersey was really visible from a very long distance. It actually helped me keep track of him from a long distance. Hence, I decided that I must have at least a couple of highly visible jerseys. For brevets wearing gilet with reflectors is mandatory. But wearing a gilet for daily rides is not feasible, particularly in summer.

The Shorts - Select Escape

I chose size Small because that's my correct size for cycling shorts. Cycling clothes have to be form fitting. That is, they should hug closely to the body. I checked the shorts for fit. They fit me perfectly. Snug and a perfect Mamil. The product has two other brands tagged with it. Lycra and 3M.

The Jersey - Select Pursuit

For the jersey I chose size Medium. While it is form fitting on the body, the arms are just a bit loose. The Adidas jersey that I bought from Brand Factory the other day has a stretchable band. This one is plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment