Sunday, September 3, 2017

Deuter AC Lite 26 lit

Stok Kangri - Sept 18
Before going to Roopkund in June 2017, I bought a smaller backpack that I would carry during the trek. I had decided to give my main back pack for the mules to carry and take a small pack for myself. This would carry my camera gear, my rain wear, my down jacket, medicines, some basic snacks, water bottles etc. In Sandakhphu I used my Lowepro for the job. But then I did not have anything other than my camera gear, water and some very basic snacks. Sandakphu was much easier than Roopkund and also I would have access to the porter, should I really need something. Roopkund would be different and my Lowepro wouldn't be able to carry it all. 

Finally I zeroed in on the Deuter 26 lit AC Lite, which I bought off Amazon. It came in the colours black and granite. I am not too fussy about the colour of my pack. 

I am quite happy with my purchase and would recommend the Deuter brand for anyone who wants to go for it and needs a validation.

The sack looks small but it has an incredible ability to accommodate whatever you give it. I gave it a Canon 7D with 24-70 lens, also fondly called the brick. I had another 18-55 lens wrapped in possibly a lightweight base layer from Columbia. I had the Marmot Precip rainwear (upper) and the Marmot down jacket. I possibly had a towel too. These went into the main sack. In the compartment meant for the hydration pack, I kept the food/snacks. Some date palms and other stuff. Not much bulk or weight. I also kept a few spare socks and the poncho I bought from IH in Wan. It was very very small. Less than palm size (and completely useless in rain).

The sack was certainly not full at all. There was a lot of space. 

The top cover of the sack has two zippered pockets. One inside and another outside. I kept my camera accessories like batteries, cards and cleaning kit inside. The outside pocket carried my red diary, medicines and lots of this and that including my wallet, phone, GPS, plane and train tickets etc.

My sack weighed a total of about 7 kgs. 
The backbreaking trail from Pathar Nachauni to Kallu Vinayak - Roopkund '17

The sack came with a rain cover. In fact I had kept my Precip in the small opening at the bottom with the rain cover !!!

The straps are very nice and comfortable on the shoulder and chest. You could adjust them on the go without much hassle. The waist strap is more like a belly strap because the sack itself is small and I am 5'10" :-) But that's fine. I had no problem walking with it except when I was panting really hard (and I breathe through my belly). But it is easy to readjust the waist strap.

This sack can accommodate a hydration pack and has the facility to take out the pipe. But I kept my water bottles on the two mesh side pockets outside. I would have loved to have a vertical pocket outside. 

The only con of the sack is it is difficult to keep it standing on the ground. That might well be because of the nature of the items that I put inside the sack. If I had kept my sleeping back in it, it would have easily stood its ground. 

There are other usual features like loops for trekking pole etc but I didn't use them. 

The sack is not water proof at all. I walked in snowfall that turned into a rain for a couple of hours without putting the rain cover. I was feeling too lazy and kept telling myself - the sack was born in Germany. I am sure it will stop the water. The sack was thoroughly drenched when I reached camp. 

Overall it's a nice value for money sack. Lightweight. No frills. Ideal for a multi-day trek when you are giving away your main sack for porters to carry. I am happy with the purchase.

Long Term Use Report

I have now used the sack for three trips. Roopkund, Netherlands and Stok Kangri. There are a few negatives that come out that are worth talking about. A. The mesh of the side pocket got torn. I have no clue how. But it did get torn a bit. I guess I will have to repair it with Gorilla tape. The rain cover, which does a fantastic job of protection against rain, got torn possibly during some flight where the sack was booked as a cabin luggage. Here also I will have to perhaps use either Gorilla tape or replace it altogether.

The third point of course is its non-waterproofness. Otherwise, it's a great bag. 

No comments:

Post a Comment