Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Firmware Update on 5D Mk II

Today I updated the firmware in my 5D Mk II. A very simple process really. Made even easier by this video here.

First of all you take a fully charged battery so that when the update is happening there is no power outage. But frankly it takes less than 3 minutes. So even if you have a half charged battery you are fine. You also need to format the card.

Transcend TS RDF8K USB 3.0 Card Reader
After that you download the new firmware - in my case I was updating from 2.1.1 to 2.1.2 which is available in this website - into your computer. Next is to add the formatted card to the card reader and copy the update file into the card. In fact to do this I had to buy a new CF card reader from Amazon. It's a Transcend that I got for Rs 1100.

Next you eject the card from the computer and put it into your camera. Go to menu and there is a place for firmware update. It's very intuitive after that. Just keep pressing set on the camera and you are done. Forgot to mention that the camera should be in any of the creative modes like M or TV or AV mode for this. Otherwise you cannot find the firmware update icon in the menu.

After the update you need to switch off the camera. Take the battery out and reinsert after at least 2 seconds. The update is complete.

After writing this much I went ahead and updated my 450D and 7D also :-) Exactly the same procedure. Good utilisation of the new card reader. I wonder when it will be used next. Because I download the camera files straight from the camera to the computer. That way, the file name arrangement happens in a very systematic way.

No comments:

Post a Comment