Saturday, December 24, 2016

Merida Slider Cycling Helmet

Yesterday my cycling helmet arrived (along with two bottle cages) from Extreme Adventure Sports, a sister concern of Nikita Distributor of Pune. The helmet is a Merida Brand Slider Helmet in size 53-58 cm and colour matt black (with obnoxious white and green stickers). Against the MRP of Rs 2490, I got it at the dealer's price of Rs 1644.34 (plus 6 per cent CST), which is quite a steal. 

This is my first cycling helmet, hence it may not be the best review to trust if you are an unsuspecting reader wanting to buy a cycling helmet. I will just write down my first impressions about the helmet. The first thing one notices about it is its extreme light weight. Possibly mentally I am comparing it against my motorcycling helmet. 

I have no idea about its strength but according to the accompanying literature, it conforms to the following standards - "EN 1078 European standard for cyclists, skateboarders and inline skaters" and also "89/686/EWG: Guidelines for personal protection equipment". It comes with CE markings. So I can assume that this helmet is legal protection in Europe. 

Clip for adjusting the Y below the ear
Now comes the question of fit. The helmet fits me very nicely. I think I have a larger than normal size of head. This helmet is fine for me. The helmet's size around the head can be adjusted by turning the  plastic fitting knob on the back. I think this system is called "ring fit". The chin strap can also be adjusted at two points - below the ear to adjust the size of the Y (this does not affect the fit) and under the chin to tighten it. The clip that is used for adjusting the strap below the ears are very smartly designed and different from anything I have used so far. The quality of the strap material is also very nice and soft. But it's white, which makes it prone to get dirty. 

The inner foam cushion can apparently be taken off and hand washed. I will do that once it gets really dirty. In motorcycle helmets it is not advisable to wash the inside too frequently. I am sure the same would apply for cycling helmets also.

I wore it for a 36 km ride this morning and it was fine. Never felt it was there, particularly after I adjusted the ear's Y.

Apparently Merida helmets are manufactured by Moon helmets of China. At one point of time that used to be a major issue with me but nowadays I do not care any more about that really. Everything is made in China. Also Chinese products these days are much better made than they used to be.

Addition on November 30, 2018

I did not use the helmet hood for riding my road bike Merida Scultura 200. But now that I have a Surly LHT, I wanted to put the hood on. Also the shape of the helmet without the hood does not look nice in selfies.

But for the life of me I couldn't understand how one fitted the hood to the helmet. The black hood had come with the helmet. Never used it because I didn't want to. But now it seemed I cannot even if I want to. I searched the internet up and down, googling every possible combination of words to find some clue but no luck there.

Finally last evening I had that Archimedes moment when I discovered two tabs on the sides of the forehead. You simply prise them open with your nail and two tiny holes come out on either side of the temple. That is where you fit the hood. I shall now wear the hood. It looks much better with the hood on. Road helmets don't come with a hood. Making a mountain helmets into a road one by not putting the hood on is a stupid thing to do.

Frankly when I bought the helmet I had no clue about what type of helmet I was getting for myself.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for such a nice content. Apppreciate it :)
    Cheers
    If anyone interested similar one's have a look here themotorbiker thanks

    ReplyDelete