Monday, July 20, 2020

Cat Eye Rear Light

Yesterday, Sunday 19th July 2020, I went as far as the Bike Studio in Salt Lake's AH block to fetch this Cat Eye rear light. I think it cost me about Rs 700 plus. I had also bought a Lizard Skins bar tape and the total price came to Rs 3495 or something like that. I will add the bar tape later when I instal it. 

The light came with a clip to attach it to a rear saddle bag as well as a small plastic pipe to add circumference to any pipe (seat stay for example) if it is found too narrow. I kept these two and the manual safely inside the packet and have decided to keep the box in the cupboard, if necessary later. In fact I plan to instal this on the bike only if I go for a night trip or in winter. As of now I have the Crivit gifted by Raja last year and the Omni is sitting in the cupboard.

This light uses two AAA batteries with a claimed run time of 200 hours. It has three modes. Stable, strobe and very fast strobe. The last mode consumes the least battery. 

This is better than USB chargeable because in India there are places and destinations where there is no electricity and I plan to go to those places precisely. A battery operated unit is far more practical therefore than USB chargeable units. 

My Nite Rider headlamp is USB rechargeable though. For those type of areas it may not be practical to carry. I had taken it to Darjeeling and used it in dense fog as a safety device. Not that too many drivers would have noticed its existence but at least I had some peace of mind. I think I charged it from my portable USB power bank.

Cat Eye is a very good brand of Japanese cycling accessories. I had two of their Velo cycling computers. I have sold one. The other is still there. They are excellent products. Let me see how long the Omni lasts me. I had a cheap Nite Rider but it came only with a clip. It slipped off my saddle bag and broke. Though it still works, I do not use it. The shell is broken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment