Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Black Diamond Moji Tent Lantern

During my Stok Kangri trek of September 2018, where I used my own tent for the entire duration of the trek, I realised a hanging ceiling light for the tent is a serious requirement for smooth camp life. Upon research I found Black Diamond has a few models and this Moji with 100 lumens should be enough for me. This is the most basic and no frills model. I asked my friend Raja Biswas to bring it for me from the UK which he did, like he always does. Unfortunately Raja does not accept money from us for these small items. I think it would have cost him £14, which is an insignificant amount. Moji comes in different colours. Raja chose the most understated colour grey. Thanks for that :-)

The light is smaller than a cricket ball and extremely light. Officially it weighs 122 gm with the batteries. It works with 3 AAA batteries. I hate that it uses an odd number. I wonder if they sell these in odd number. I have to go to the grocer and check it out. The unit didn't come pre-loaded with any battery. Have to buy new ones.

The battery chamber
The battery chamber is easy to open and close. The grey top has a screw on system. It works very smoothly unlike, let's say, my Petzl Tikina.  

There is just one switch to turn the power on or off or change the intensity of the light. I believe it can be used in various settings from 4 lumens to 100 lumens (I am yet to use it properly). The battery life will vary accordingly from 100 hours to 10 hours. In a small tent like mine, I don't think I will need a flood of light all the time. 

My tent does have a pocket on the ceiling where one can place his head torch and it will give out a diffused light. However, I didn't like it. Unless I was going to an expedition where every single gramme counted, I would carry the Moji. Even if I was not using my own tent. This is a very handy thing to have during a hike into the wilderness of Himalayas, even if you are not carrying your own tent. You can use it under various situations. Commercial trekking agencies can give you a tent but they don't provide any light inside. Even in dining tents, available light is pathetic.

A trekking gear has to be light, compact, dependable and hardy. This is light and compact, no doubt. BD is generally a dependable brand. I have two of their items and both are very nice - a head torch and a pair of trekking poles. Whether it is hardy can only be judged after I have used it a few times in the field. The packaging says it offers IPX4 water resistance. This means it is protected against splashing water. So I can use it in rains and dripping water will not spoil it. I cannot immerse it in water and get away with it. I don't think these situations will arise under normal circumstances. Let me see. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Batteries 
I bought three AAA Duracell batteries from the grocer. Each costs Rs 36. The light looks very nice and bright at the highest. Even at the lowest setting it's decently bright for a small tent like mine. The button has to be long pressed for the brightness to be turned up or down. One press is off or on. It has a brightness memory. That is, the lantern lights up from the last set brightness when you turn it on. Here is a photograph of the lit lantern.
At the lowest lumen of 4

No comments:

Post a Comment